DENR-NCR trains wildlife officers
The Protected Areas Wildlife and Coastal Zone Management Services (PAWCZMS) of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources-National Capital Region (DENR-NCR) conducted on March 22, 2014, Orientation on RA 9147, otherwise, known as the Wildlife Conservation and Protection Act.
Some 28 members of the Philippine National Police – Aviation Security Group (PNP-AVSE Group) participated in the Orientation Seminar held at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal III, PAWCZMS Regional Technical Director Donna Mayor-Gordove reported. They were familiarized with the salient provisions of RA 9147, functions of Wildlife Enforcement Officers (WEO), Airport Protocol, Basic Rules on Warrantless Arrest, Search and Seizure and Procedure for Environmental Clearance, she added.
Regional Director Lourdes C. Wagan said that the security group participants will become partners of the DENR as Wildlife Enforcement Officers to hasten the campaign against illegal wildlife trade, particularly in the port of entry and exit like the airport.
The conduct of orientation-seminar was one of the highlights of the celebration of the first World Wildlife Day. March 3 was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly as World Wildlife Day to celebrate the many beautiful and varied forms of wild fauna and flora and to raise awareness of the various benefits that wildlife provides to people. The day also aims to raise awareness of the urgent need to step up the fight against wildlife crime.
RD Wagan said that the government is determined in its campaign to protect the country’s wildlife resources. The vigorous fight can be carried out with the support of the deputized Wildlife Enforcement Officers being trained by the DENR. She stressed that under RA 9147, illegal trading, collection, hunting or possession of wildlife, their byproducts and derivatives without proper permit are punishable.
- DENR-NCR joins World Water Day
- Paje designates Wagan as new head of DENR-NCR
- DENR-NCR organizes ecotour for grade school students of Las Piñas and Parañaque
- DENR-NCR celebrates World Wetlands Day
- DENR-NCR welcomes new head
- DENR-NCR conducts tree inventory and mapping in five public parks and mini-forest park in Quezon City and Manila
- RED Andin vows from public service
- Ombudsman dismisses alleged inaction complaint against DENR-NCR
- DENR to launch conservation areas along the Manila Bay in NCR
- Philippines participated in the 28th International Coastal Clean-Up